Great news! We reached our goal! We started out on the 6th of October with our launch. Especially in the beginning there were still some things we didn’t account for such as the time the CF platform needed to revise and check the campaign we wanted to launch. Check my post on the launch of the crowdfunding campaign.
We set our goal at €3000 and already in the first day of the launch we got our 25% of the target amount. This was a great milestone and we were very happy with that amount. The days after that were pretty hard to watch because the money was coming in at a very slow pace after the first day. Although we already knew that because of the research we had done. The first days and the last days are the days that you get the most amount of money in your account. See the post about Steve Vick about this.
Already in the beginning we made it very clear that we had different sorts of donators that wanted to spend money on DELITELABS students. Small donators who would give not more than a few euros and not more than 10. The middle class which would give us from 10 euros to 100 euros and then you had the bigger fish that would give anything above hundred euros.
Luckily we had an arrangement with the UT to collaborate. See here the first meeting we had with a couple of members of the UT. Not so long ago, just before the beginning of the last course we negotiated with them to run a prototyping week for our students in the 4th week of the course at the UT. I had responsibility within this project to arrange the connections between DELITELABS, the UT and some of the Student Unions of the UT. See my preparations for this event in this post.
We could stay there for a week and on the fourth day of our visit, Thursday, we could have our students do a pitch for a large crowd. The crowd didn’t only consist of members of the University of Twente, but all kinds of investors and other entrepreneurs that were linked to Designlab, a faculty of the University of Twente that stimulates entrepreneurship among students.
The big donation at the Pitchnight
So also a big opportunity for our students to actually give a pitch for a great crowd. Great practise for the last pitch event that would be the week after on Wednesday. I was pretty nervous for our students. Especially a couple of students were working hard, but the pitch didn’t quite come out yet. Too much unnecessary details put in, to plain in the way they spoke of their projects, too little showmanship. We helped them all day with the preparations for this and with success. I was so proud of those guys. They pulled it off, they did it. At the end of the pitches people were so enthused that the board of Designlab decided to support our students with €2000! The money we needed because at that point we had already €1200 in our crowdfunding campaign. A couple of days later the money was in our Crowdfunding campaign in One%club and we had made it!!
Sometimes it’s better to have multiple clients and not only focus on the people who you think will do most of the lifting. This time we have shown that one big fish, Designlab, can be just what you need to reach your goal.
Privileged I felt and still feel to be a part of this. Making the lives of our students a bit better!